Titonka United Methodist Church

Church History

The Titonka United Methodist Church began in November of 1898 with the first service held in the Johnson- Budlong Lumber Office. Rev. H.L. Case, pastor at Wesley, conducted the service.

During the next two years, services were held at the depot, in homes, or in vacant store buildings. In January of 1901, the charges of Elwell and Titonka were consolidated and the Elwell building was moved to the corner lot, directly north of the present church. Rev. A.H. Maynard was then the pastor and deserves much credit for carrying out the plan.

The church burned down in 1906. They then purchased the vacated Union Presbyterian Church, located at the corner of Main St. and 5th Ave. on the northeast corner.

In September of 1901, Rev. Allen H. Wood was appointed to the charge. In 1902 the church was incorporated as the Titonka Methodist Episcopal Church. The word "Episcopal" was dropped in 1939. In 1968, due to formal union with the Evangelical United Brethren Church, the church name was changed to United Methodist. In 1905-1906, the first permanent parsonage was erected where the present church is located. Rev. O.P. Mueller was the pastor. In 1949 the parsonage was moved across the street north of the present church, making way for the construction of a new church previously approved in 1946. On March 21,1950 the congregation voted to begin construction. On August 27, 1950 cornerstone was laid. The pastor at that time was Rev. James Albertson and he presided over the cornerstone Laying Ceremony.

The last meeting in the old church was held March 25, 1951. The first service in the new building was April 1, 1951 in the basement. The first service in the sanctuary was held July 1, 1951.

In 1967 a new parsonage was built during the pastorate of Rev. E. Paul Hansen. It is located at 135 North Main Street.

In 1971 a new entry was added onto the east side of the church. This serves as an entrance to the sanctuary.

We celebrated our Centennial on September 26th and 27th of 1998.

Listed below are the pastors who have served our church:

 

Back to Home Page