HISTORY OF CEDAR COUNTY
was organized in 1838, and named after the river flowing through it. The area
was inhabited by the Fox Indians, whose chief, Poweshiek, had his village on
the Cedar River. A struggle for the county seat between Rochester
and Tipton, which was more centrally located, was finally decided in favor of
Tipton. The Quaker community of West Branch is where Iowaís
only President, Herbert Hoover, was born and lived as a boy. The Hoover
Presidential Library is located in West Branch.