The first minister of the Ramsey church, after that church had joined
The town of Ramsey is nothing more than a faint memory, a forgotten cemetery on the side of a hill that no one seems to know or care about anymore. But it is from this “forgotten” place that the Ramsey Reformed Church had its beginnings and received its name. From as early as 1877 church services were held in the Ramsey store under the leadership of Presbyterian minister, Rev. Jacob Liesvold.
By 1882 members of the church group felt it was more important to have a permanent structure built in a centrally located area that was easily accessible to more of the people. The decision was made to break away from the Presbyterian Church and to form a new church in German Township. After many discussions and meetings, Mr. Michaelson donated five acres in Section 15 of German Township in which to build a church. Since these Eastfriesian people were a very poor group, it was decided to solicit funds. With the money they collected, they were able to build both a church and a parsonage.
On May 6, 1886, with forty-one members and nineteen supporting families, the Ramsey Reformed Church was officially accepted into the denomination of the Reformed Church in America. Their first minister was Rev. Daniel Schaefer.
The Ramsey Reformed Church continues to be strong in its emphasis on spiritual education, missionary outreach and dedication to the Word of God.
Taken from “The Whistle Blows at Noon” Centennial History of Titonka.