The New Trike

home

1st Trike

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 6

 

Update 2/24/2004

I had knee surgery (for the 3rd time…) early this month, which has limited the amount of work I’ve been able to get done of this bugger.  Jumping out of planes for a living for 4 years pretty much killed off my lower back and both knees.

 

Anyway, the machine shop roughed out the running boards for me and I’ve spent a chunk of time trimming for final fit.  I’ve got them pretty much finished at this point, I just need to weld in some attaching tabs to the frame and bolt these things down.  I was thinking the other night that they may rattle depending on any flex, so I’ve decided to run a bead of silicon around where the aluminum comes in contact with the steel framework.  This will also hopefully minimize corrosion due to dissimilar materials coming in contact.  I’ll use chrome button head allen bolts for these.  These things practically glow in the dark now!

 

The machine shop is currently cutting out the tunnel sides, the engine firewall and the small gas tank drip plate right now, should be done by tomorrow or Thursday.  The drip plate is needed to keep spilled gas from dumping directly onto the engine/headers.  It’s going to have a 1.5” raised  lip around the edges.  It is taking more design time than expected because it also has to conform to the back of the seat, the edges of the gas tank, and I also want the outside of the vertical lip to be bright aluminum.  This means bending an 8’ by 3” length of deck plate to look like angle iron – with the bright part out – and then fitting it around the bottom tank plate. – Can you say fun?

 

Will post some new pics in a couple of days.

Here’s the finished running boards now.  There’re installed with the chrome button head bolts, and it looks sharp!!

 

Here’s a look at both sides with the boards on now.

Oblique angle.

This is the drip plate assembly for the gas tank.  You can see the curved front that has to conform to the back of the seat.  This give the back of the trike a nice smooth rounded look instead of looking like a chop job.

Here you can see all the individual cuts I had to make, and all of the bends I made on the box brake.  Getting the plate and the edging to fit was a exercise in frustration!  It’s all assembled now, but what a job!

You can see the beveled edges of the tank ends, and how the drip plate conforms to this.  Looks sharp!

 

 

Here’s the completed pedal assembly --- finally!!!  It’s powder coated, and looks sharp!

 

Here’s the back end of the trike with the tank on it.  It’s not completely attached yet, I’m looking for some rubber legs to dampen vibration between tank tie down straps and the frame.

Same as above, different angle.

 

 

 

home

1st Trike

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 6