The New Trike

home

1st Trike

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 5

Page 6

 

Update 1/31/2004

I’ve had some major changes in my life the 5 months.  By October 2003, I sold my racecar and extra trailer, the Pickup (1990 4x4 Chevy Silverado Z71 Stepside shortbed, with a 406 CI smallblock and chip swap I did myself), Oldsmobile station wagon, old Honda 750 Super Sport motorcycle, and my 2 Opel GT’s.  Needless to say, I can focus on the Trike again!!!!!!!!!  Over Christmas ’03, I put about 80 hours of work into this thing working on the pedal assemblies, running boards, and finishing up the engine.  The pedal assemblies are industrial quality.  Everything is hand fabricated and one-off.  They are made to be easily maintained – Torrington bearings and grease zerts.

Engine Pics – I added the chrome doghouse, an oil pump/filter assembly, installed the rocker-arms and lashed them, assembled and installed the alternator assembly with fan and chrome stand, new small billet crankshaft pully.  Oh, I also changed out all nuts/bolts/washers to stainless steel.  That way I don’t have to deal with corrosion on this puppy.

Here’s the pedal assemblies.  This one is the clutch assembly.  If you look closely on the cable side of the arm assembly, you’ll see that I also put in an adjuster on the bottom of the cable arm so that I can limit where the pedal pulls back to.  This way I can set both pedals are at the same distance from the driver. 

Here’s the fabricated brake assembly. When I designed these, I ran some force/distance calculations to make sure that I didn’t have to use too much leg force for good braking action.  I also ran some radius arc calculations to make sure I didn’t have to push the pedals too far to get the required ~2” pedal rod movement.  You need a fairly linear push into the master cylinder.

 This is the line locks I installed on each rear wheel brake line so I can make a very short parking turn if needed.

Beginning fabricating foot rest mounts.  5/8” nickel plated cold rolled steel through a ” plate bolted to the running boards.

Modifying the foot rests to fit on the mounting bar.  I will eventually put bright aluminum plate on the bottom to cover it.

 

They say that the devil is in the details – man are they right.  I’ve put about 25 hours into fabricating the mounting brackets for these foot rests.  I cut some bar-stock, bent it with a torch, ground it to fit these channels, welded the rods together, then drilled and tapped ” x 20  for some chrome button top bolts.  I then pulled the top off the foot rests, match drilled through the bottom plate of the foot rests and bolted them to the fabricated brackets.  As you can see, it worked out great!  Getting all the angles to match up though, was pretty painful.  As I keep working on this trike, I’m finding that I’m having to custom fab just about everything now– just to make it look and fit right.

 

 I’m now starting to mockup the running boards using 3/16” plywood.  Once I get them to exact dimensions, I’ll take them to the machine shop and have them cut out of 3/16” bright aluminum deck plate.

 

home

1st Trike

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 5

Page 6