Agudas Achim Congregation   

 

Before 1910, Jewish families in Iowa City met for services in private homes. In 1915, a rabbi was engaged, and in 1916 Agudas Achim Congregation was incorporated. In 1920, permanent quarters were acquired on South Clinton Street across from the county courthouse. In 1949, the present building was completed. Over the last fifteen years, the synagogue has undergone two major expansions, the most recent in 1994, with the addition of the foyer, kitchen, library and office wing. Major improvements to the grounds began with the construction of the Jacobs Sukkah Pavilion in 1999 and continued in 2001 with the Biblical Garden.

 

Send mail to webmaster@ with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: 08/05/06