The Last Wish

The 26-year-old mother stared down at her son who was dying of leukemia.  Although her heart was filled with sadness, she also had strong feeling of determination. Like any parent she wanted her son to grow up and fulfill all his dreams. Now that was no longer possible. The leukemia would see to that. But she still wanted her sonís dreams to come true. She took her sonís hand and asked, "Billy, did you ever think about what you wanted to be once you grew up? Did you ever dream and wish what you would do with your life?"  "Mommy, I always wanted to be a fireman when I grew up."  Mom smiled back and said, "Letís see if we can make your wish come true."  Later that day she went to her local fire department in Phoenix, Arizona, where she met Fireman Bob Klein, who had a heart as big as Phoenix. She explained her sonís final wish and asked if it might be possible to give her six-year-old son a ride around the block on a fire engine.  The fireman said, "Look, we can do better than that. If youíll have your son ready at seven oíclock Wednesday morning, weíll make him an honorary fireman for the whole day. He can come down to the fire station, eat with us, go out on all the fire calls, the whole nine yards! "And if youíll give us his sizes, weíll get a real fire uniform for him, with a real fire hat - not a toy one - with the emblem of the Phoenix Fire Department on it, and a yellow slicker like we wear and rubber boots. Theyíre all manufactured right here in Phoenix, so we can get them fast."  Three days later Fireman Bob picked up Billy, dressed him in his fire uniform and escorted him from his hospital bed to the waiting hook and ladder truck. Billy got to sit on the back of the truck and help steer it back to the fire station.  Billy was "in heaven."  There were three fire calls in Phoenix that day and Billy got to go out on all three calls. He rode the different fire engines, the paramedicís van and even in the fire chiefís car. He was also video taped for the local news program. Having his dream come true, with all the love and attention that was lavished upon him, so deeply touched Billy that he lived three months longer than any doctor thought possible.  One night all of his vital signs began to drop dramatically and the head nurse began to call the family members to the hospital. Then she remembered the day Billy had spent as a fireman, so she called the fire chief and asked if it would be possible to send a fireman in uniform to the hospital to be with Billy as he made his transition.  The chief replied, "We can do better than that. Weíll be there in five minutes. Will you please do me a favor? When you hear the sirens screaming and the lights flashing, will you announce over the PA system that there is not a fire! Itís just the fire department coming to see one of itís finest members one more time. And will you open the window to his room?"  About five minutes later a hook and ladder truck arrived at the hospital, extended its ladder up to Billyís third floor open window, and 16 firefighters climbed up the ladder into Billyís room. With his motherís permission, they hugged him and held him and told him how much they loved him.  With his dying breath, Billy looked up at the fire chief and said, "Chief, am I really a fireman now?"  "Billy, you are," the chief said. With those words, Billy smiled and closed his eyes one last time, as the fireman all stood around the bed with their hands to their foreheads in silent salute and with tears running down their cheeks.

Send mail to A & G Productions with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: December 19, 2004