I am taking the following excerpt written by Maxine Beal from a book published around 1976 called "MEMORIES." The book details the past of Marion Township and the Green Mountain area from its inception to what it was in 1976.
The Green Mountain Volunteer Fire Department is listed officially as a Class 'B' station, because of its size and equipment, but if there was a category for effort, the group would easily earn a giant 'E'.
Green Mountain has always had a ready fire crew, but until 1951 it motored to the blazes in a 1922 model truck. It didn't have its own fire station. Now there's a truck, an adequate, permanent building, a 500-gallon tank truck, a one mill yearly tax levy which goes into the fire departments fund and a roster of ready firemen. Oscar Lane, Floyd Kelley and Donald Benbow built the towns fire station in 1951. Fire chief, Clifford Benson was the head of the Marshall County Fireman's Association, at this time. Benson ran a blacksmith shop next door tot he station and lived close by. He said it took less than one minute to have the fire truck started, siren blazing and out in the street ready to go, after an alarm was received. Chief Benson had more than 20 men on the volunteer list, including his first and second assistants, Charles Brierley and Henry Parks. The group held monthly meetings at the station. The department had three men who were trained to administer first aid: the Chief, Kenneth Lane, and Robert Benbow. These men had also taken the instructors Red Cross first aid course.
The department was able to purchase a 1951 model fire truck which cost about $11,000. The one mill levy, which had been in effect for more than five years, amounted to $3,700 per annum for fire fund. The volunteers hoped to purchase more equipment, such as a resuscitator, once the truck was paid in full. All of Marion Township is given free service by the deparmtent. because of the communities location, the G.M. Fire Department offers "contract" coverage to areas along three sides of the township. This contract area (wherein the person pays $3 a year plus a service charge for alarms answered) extends up to old highway 96 (130 St) on the North, takes in a one mile strip into Tama County on the East, and a mile and one-half strip of Taylor Township on the West. The department also covers southwestern portion of Marion below the Iowa River, which is area included in contract agreements by Marshalltown Fire Department.
It takes the men about 8 to 10 minutes to answer a call to the fartherest point from the station. The department purchased a different tank truck which will have a 1,000 gallon tank capacity. They had a 1935 model school bus, which had a 500 gallon water tank on where pupils once sat. The metal top was removed. The department had only one paid employee - Harvey Diedrickson - who serviced the trucks and looked after the Automatic oil furnace in the station. Some of the other volunteers at this time were Bernard Freeze, Carl Mitchell, Rodney Simpson, Harold Severidt, Jack Tuffree, Carlton Lynk, Art Anderson, and Robert Hilsabeck,(all out of town residents). In addition there was Delmar Tuffree, D. K. Gettle and Harold Williams.
In 1970 an old U.S. Forestry Service truck was given to the town of Green Mountain so they could convert it into a small fire truck to use primarily for grass fires. The twelve members of the department spent 250 to 300 man hours getting the truck ready. When in use, Paul Jaspers was delegated to operate the hose while the truck was being driven along the fire line. The 230 gallon pump was operated by one or two men in the back. A platform was specially built on the front so the truck could be driven into fields and get to the fire line.
At present the fire departments chief is Dalton Collins, who has had this position for 18 years. On November 3, 1974 the department had a 500 gallon-per-minute pumper truck delivered. It has a 750 gallon water capacity tank. This new unit cost $25,000. This makes the departments strength up to three fire trucks, one other unit has a 1,000 gallon tank. The new truck has a Chevrolet Chassis with automatic transmission. It will carry 1,000 feet of hose and a 4,000 watt generator, plus exhaust fans, portable lights, and air masks.
The volunteer group acquired a new fire station in winter of 1973. For the past several years the firemen and their wives have sponsored a chicken supper to make funds which are used to purchase fireworks for the July 4th celebration put on for the community.