The town of Long Grove, population 600, was established in 1838. It is situated 12 miles north of Davenport off Highway 61. Surrounded by rolling cornfields, the town is scenically located in Scott County in east-central Iowa. It was first settled by Alexander and James Brownlie and was "pleasantly located near a large grove of fine timber". A sod house, built by the Brownlie brothers in 1838, is located in town and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Buffalo Bill Cody's father established a homestead in 1847 northeast of Long Grove and Bill's eldest brother is buried in the Long Grove Christian Church cemetery. Other area attractions include the 1280 acre Scott County Park and Glynns Creek Golf Course, a championship 18-hole course. Nearby Walnut Grove Pioneer Village is a replica of a 19th century village.
Return to Table of Contents