IV speech team shines at state
Two Iowa Valley High School speech teams earned division I rates at the state speech contest held at Linn-Mar High School, Marion, Saturday, Feb 6.
Three judges critiqued each group’s performance and the ratings are averaged together to calculate the overall rating.
Receiving overall division I ratings were:
• The readers theater, “With Wings as Eagles,” included Emily Miles, Gina Svare, Michelle Hobbs, Kailey Kaestner, Madison Lacina, Caitlin Gassman and Samantha Lorenz, who encouraged their audience to remain hopeful in a troubling society.
• Gina Svare, Kailey Kaestner, and Megan Kaestner performed “Take Your Daughter to Work Day” in the Group Mime category.
Receiving overall Division II ratings were:
• In the TV news category, Jamie Scott, Sarah Houser, Megan Kaestner, Kenyon Decker, Brianna VanSlyke and Ben Folkmann wrote and produced a TV newscast as KSUN Channel 6: Making Your Day a Little Bit Brighter.
• Vicki Linvell, Ben Folkmann and Samantha Lorenz had two minutes to prepare a five-minute skit from their drawn situation, “In chemistry class and you create something strange” for group improv. Caitlin Buswell, Sarah Barrick, and Jayme Wirtanen performed the situation, “Squirrels watching people in a park.”
• Stacy Roggentien’s solo mime was entitled “The Longest Journey,” in which she acted out life’s journey with no sounds.
• Sharing facts and stories from Australia in “A Choral Reading from Down Under,” were Ashlea Schlabach, Krista McKusker, Sarah Houser, Vicki Linvell, Deena Rathjen, Brianna VanSlyke, Beth McDonald, Taylor Randall, Kaitlyn Heisdorffer and Jayme Wirtanen.
UPDATED February 16, 2010 2:28 PM