July 3!!! Celebrating the Third in Marengo
|The Marengo Third of July parade will start at its usual location at the corner of Miller Street and Court Avenue. This year the parade will turn right at South Street and head north on Marengo Avenue.|
The Marengo Third of July celebration returns with a day filled with events, games and live entertainment.
The biggest change for this year’s annual event will be the parade route, which will be re-routed due to the construction of the downtown streetscape project on Court Avenue.
The parade will begin at its usual location. Entrants are asked to line up at the intersection of Miller Street and Court Avenue at 5:30 p.m. The parade will start at 6: 30 p.m. This year’s grand marshal is Tony Loffer.
The parade will start as normal on Miller Street and head north on Court Avenue. The route turns right at South Street for one block, then takes a left on Marengo Avenue. The parade will go all the way to the Iowa Valley Elementary School where it turns left at May Street. The route returns to Court and then goes down to North Street. The parade takes a left at North and finishes at Western Avenue.
New features for this year’s Third of July celebration include the basketball shooting contest and several other games and contests, including the watermelon seed spitting contest and the pie eating contest.
Many new traditions will carry over from last year’s sesquicentennial celebration. The car show makes its return to the elementary school and a horseshoe tournament will be held at the courts east of Marengo City Hall.
The night will be finished with a fireworks display sponsored by the Marengo Fire Department and a street dance featuring Lonesome Road and Center Stage.
A full schedule of events is as follows:
• 7 to 10 a.m. — Kiwanis pancake breakfast at the Marengo American Legion Hall.
• 8 a.m. — Basketball shooting contest.
• 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Car show at the Iowa Valley Elementary School parking lot.
• 9:30 a.m. — Horseshoe tournament.
• 12 p.m. — Barbecue in the park and beer garden opens.
• 12 to 3 p.m. — Free swimming at the Marengo Swimming Pool.
• 1:15 p.m. — Rolle bolle tournament.
• 3 p.m. — Games and contests including watermelon seed spitting contest, pie eating contest, bubble gum blowing contest, kid/mom calling contest and gunny sack races.
• 5:30 p.m. — Line up for the parade. Check in at the corner of Court Avenue and Miller Street.
• 6:30 p.m. — Parade.
• 9 p.m. — Street dance with live music provided by Lonesome Road and Center Stage.
• Dusk — Fireworks at the north end of the football field.
UPDATED June 29, 2010 10:41 AM