Aredale's Businesses in 2001|
First Security Bank & Trust:
The first bank, established in July of 1901 was the Savings Bank, which closed in 1926. The following fall and winter plans wre underway to sell shares of $100 each and establish a new bank with $25,000 capital. This was finally accomplished in May of 1927.
In March of 1933 President Roosevelt closed all banks. Most banks were up and running shortly, but the Aredale State Bank remained closed until further notice. After local citizens put up the funds themselves, the bank was up and running again.
In 1976 the Aredale State Bank board was toying with the idea of replacing the old building housing the bank. After much planning, the board convinced the banking department to allow us to build a new building. Work was started in September of 1976 and completed in February of 1977.
In July of 1983 controlling interest was sold and in January of 1988 the bank was closed because of financial problems. The bank was then purchased by First Security Bank and Trust Company of Charles City, Iowa and at the present time it is an office of First Security Bank & Trust. To learn more about First Security Bank & Trust, you can go to their web site by clicking here.
First Security Bank
101 Main Street
PO Box 98
Aredale, IA 50605-0098
Brocka Tiling had its roots in the field drainage business in 1973. Clay tile was being used for drainage and was installed in an open trench dug with a wheel trencher.
Brocka Inc. was formed in 1977. Plastic tubing came into production, taking the place of clay tile, that was put in by hand, one piece at a time. Laser grade control also made the work easier. .
In 1980 brought the plow trencher that installed the plastic tubing in a closed ditch. Without the open ditch, to check the old tile lines and the new lines being installed was a real challenge.
In 1987 when waterway work and excavation was added to the business. Then in 1998 the trucking part of the business, which includes rock and asphalt hauling, was added.
Brocka Inc. is owned and operated by Gordon and Marietta Brocka. The company has _ employees, and has also added grain hauling to their business.
221 East Main
Aredale, IA 50605
Farmers Co-Operative Society:
NEED DIFFERENT CONTENT FOR THEM!! THE BOOK INFORMATION DOES NOT SOUND VERY GOOD!!
Grandma's Snack Shack:
Virgil and Helen Homer purchased the grocery store in June of 1992. In July of 1992 Homer's started serving meals. In 1993 they decided to make the eatery into a bar/restaurant and added a bar. They server noon specials and also specials on Friday and Saturday nights.
Aredale Post Office:
The first cash book for the Aredale Post Office was started on July 1, 1899. At that time the first Assistant Postmaster General was Pery S. Heath.
On September 23, 1901 the offices of the Assistant Attorney General for the Post Office Department in Washington D.C. sent a letter which refers to a burglary reported in the Aredale Office on or about September 19, 1901. This is the first known Post Office robbery in the ARedlae Office, Mr. McCauliff was not present during the robbery.
At the end of 1902 there were 80 boxes rented in which 11 of them were businesses. The regular boxes cost $.10 a quarter and the business boxes were $.25 per quarter.
Aredale City Hall and Fire Department:
The Mayor at the time was Melvin Peyton and he states that when the old bank, which would have been located where the current Town Hall/Fire Department is now, burnt down the current building was built. The old Town Hall/Fire Station used to be in the Northwest side of Aredale where Donvin Lumley currently owns a storage building. The Town Hall/Fire Department was built in the early 1980's. There is currently four fire trucks and numerious members of the Volunteer Fire Department.
Duck's Bar and Grill:
The owner is Don Henderson whose family grew up in 1/8 mile North of Aredale purchased the bar in June of 1992 from Jim Marshall.
Johnson & Sons Tiling and Excavating:
Pete Johnson started Johnson's Tiling in 1946 upon his death his son Jerrold "Butch" Johnson took over the business. Today Jerrold and his two sons, Thomas and Pete, currently own and operate it.
The business was purchased in 1990 and Orrie currently does automative and tire repair.
The Gospel Hall was purchased in 1932 (remodeled several times). It has had Gospel Meetings there since 1932.
Co-Owners are Lloyd Faaborg and Carl Zimmerman. The business was started in September of 1999 and handles general repairs and welding of machinery and mechanical equipment.